I, Shoeb Faruquee a self-thought photographer, born in Patiya, Chittagong, Bangladesh in 1960. I spent my early life in village and later I settled in Chittagong city and finish my science graduation from Chittagong College in 1982. My father Miah Faruquee is a Freedom fighter, veteran politician and a writer.
I started Photography in early eighty’s and as I find my passion with photoart, then I involved myself with photography for full time from 1990.
I am the Founder Director of Photobank Gallery which already nationally and internationally acclaimed a versatile photographic institution including stock photo agency, Photoart Institute, a teaching and training academy of photography. I am also an honorary fellow and was an advisor of Bangladesh Photographic Society (BPS) and an honorary guest teacher of Architecture department of Chittagong University of Engineering & Technology.
I was a member of the Juries for several national and international photography contests. I have conducted different photographic workshops in home and abroad. My photographs are published in many renowned dailies, magazines and journals around the world such as Stern, Geo, Telegraph, New Internationalist Magazine, Readers Digest Australia and many others.
More than 200 of my exhibited and awarded photographs have been published in international exhibition catalogues, commemorative books and coffee-table books. My portfolio on ‘Ship Breaking Yard in Chittagong’ have been exhibited at World Press Photo Award Days at Felix Meritis, Amsterdam, The Netherlands in 2005.My solo exhibition entitled ‘Manush’ (Humans) was organized by Alliance Francaise de Chittagong. “Chirayato Chattagram” my another solo exhibition was organized at Haatkhola art gallery. “Lights of my soul” a month long Photo art exhibition was organized by Radisson blue Chittagong. A photographic presentation on ‘Evening Photography Talk with the Photographer Shoeb Faruquee’ was held in Dar Ibne Al-Haytham for Visual Arts in Al-Bastakia, Dubai in 2010.
My stock images have been used every year by the institutions and organizations widely in Bangladesh and Internationally like Muehlhaus & Kommunnication GMBH – Germany, Unicef – Switzerland, WHO Journal – Switzerland, Open University Course Book – UK, Annual Report – Global Fund for Children- USA, UNEP Journal – USA, Child Guardian Save the Children – Australia, Professional Photographer – UK and many others.
Till now I have received closed to 100 international awards including –
– 2nd prize on Contemporary Issues – in the 48th World Press Photo Contest 2005 The Netherlands.
– Humanity Photo Documentary Awards, China.
– Nikon photo contest prize 2009/2010, Japan.
– Grand Prix Winner Asian Cultural Center for UNESCO photo contest 2002, Japan.
– Grand Prize Venice International Photo Contest 2006, Italy.
– Al Thani Awards for Photography Gold Medal 2007, Qatar
– Emirates Photo Contest Prize 2010, UAE
– Two 2nd prize and three honor Mention prize from WHO Photo/Video Contest 2007, Switzerland
– Kuwait Grand Photography Contest 2016 Winner Ist Runner Up
– Pink Lady Food Photographer of the Year Award 2016 Ist Prize, UK
– Ashahi Shimbun award winner 4 times, Japan
FIAP and PSA Gold winner in different Salon more then 10 times